Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Project: Hawaii—Home at Last. Or Close Enough.

The floor and trim were completed today, and I love it!  remodel final 005

remodel final 009

(The splotchy pictures are from me dropping the camera in the sand on Sunday afternoon.  When the camera deigns to turn on at all, it won’t zoom, and I seem to have permanent lens “dots”.  And I can’t even blame this camera failure on a child.)

remodel final 006

 

The electrician is coming tomorrow to put in all the missing receptacles and generally finish up wiring.  Unfortunately, just minutes ago I noticed an error in light placement above the sink.  I don’t know how that happened, as we spent a long time discussing and chalking light placement.   How did I not notice this before the drywall went up?  It is technically fixable, but it’s not the cost of ripping this out, cutting in new holes, etc, etc, that keeps this light in place.   It is that I would have to paint the ceiling again, and that is unacceptable.  More unacceptable than one light out of place that I will notice every single time I go into the kitchen for the next twenty years.  Okay, so it’s a close call. 

The contractor has a few odd jobs to do that can’t be done until the correct floor transitional pieces come in next week, but nothing that inconveniences us.

I have lots of tiny paint touch ups to do and I haven’t begun to putty and finish the trim work.   But I’m going to have fun putting things back and finding new spots for my favorite items.  And maybe the shop vac and ladder can go back to the garage eventually….

Thanks for following this adventure with us!

PS For those who don’t know, this was called Project: Hawaii because a few months ago, Dwayne called my mom and asked her if she was willing to take care of all three kids for a week while he took me on a romantic vacation.  She said yes, of course, bless her.  I was excited at first, but a few weeks later realized that if we had a time and money to go to Hawaii for a week, perhaps we could just tear down a couple of walls and raise the kitchen ceiling.  That’s all.  Dwayne graciously, graciously agreed.  He was the one who wanted to do the flooring, too, and I’m glad he insisted. 

But I think I have the project bug completely neutralized for a long, long time.

1 comment: