Monday, April 23, 2012

Project: Hawaii (X)—I Hate Painting Now

Friday night:  They finished texturing the walls and ceilings about 8pm on Friday evening.  I had been painting on and off that afternoon, working on priming beams, etc.  But I started painting in earnest as soon as they turned off the hopper.  By 5am, I had primed and painted all the surfaces not directly textured. 

In our 32oo sf house, I have painted every wall and ceiling, personally, in the entire house.  Except these two walls.  remodel paint 006      remodel paint 005

These are the two walls in stairwell at the split level entry.  There is no good way of painting the beams, the ceiling, or the walls.  It was lousy, lousy, lousy.  And then painting all the beams in the cathedral ceiling.  At 2am.  And 3am. And 4am. 

Saturday:  Slept 4 hours and then got up and painted for 7 hours straight.  Used up most of a 5 gallon bucket of primer. 

Saturday night:  Went to a fabulous, swanky birthday party at the Metropolitan Grill.  Wore a dress long enough to cover my paint-splattered knees.  Came home at 10:30 and Dwayne and I painted until 3am. 

Sunday night:  Completed all but the final coat of green paint after the kids went to bed.  Take a peek!

remodel paint 045

 

remodel paint 047

remodel paint 051

 

This was my Friday night nemesis, those lower walls.

remodel paint 052

remodel paint 054

But I really like how great the ceilings turned out.  The beams are not longer dark brown beams painted with one or two coats of white paint.  There’s no more water stains or little cracks.  It is clean, smooth, and finished…in direct contrast to everything below it.

remodel paint 053

 

The flooring (and trim) is all that’s left to do, plus a few touch ups.  Done on Wednesday??? (I’m trying to type with my fingers crossed!)

No comments: