Sunday, January 1, 2017

SPLASH! It Came with a T-Shirt

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 1

I did it in 2012, 2013, and 2014, have no record for 2015, stayed in bed when it was 23 degrees in 2016, and pulled myself together for 2017. 

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 15

Bringing along my professional photographer (more on him later), the kids, and layers, we headed for Double Bluff Beach once again for the Annual New Year’s Polar Dive.  1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 19

It was such a gorgeous day!  If you don’t count wind chill (and really, who does?), it was a balmy 36 degrees.  In the sun.  Wearing snow pants over fleece pajamas.  But it was beautiful, and we were with friends, one who had a flask which may or may not have contained some Red Hot.1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 10

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 11

We kept our layers on until 11:56.

11: 57

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 20

11:58

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 22

11:59

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 26_LI

Noon up!1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 28_LI

12:00

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 32

12:00

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 31

12:00

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 33

(Seriously, the camera must be broken, because we were in there for hours!)

Finally, 12:01

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 36

My bear cubs braved the water, sorta. 

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 371-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 441-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 7

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 45


Almost all the women were wearing one-pieces, or at least tankinis, but here’s why A Lady Should Always Wear a Bikini When Polar Bearing:

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 46

It’s very, very practical.  Even if it shocks your firstborn.

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 47

And can I thank my parents again for their genetics?  I had been preparing for this dive by pudging on lots of cookies.  I look at a dozen pictures of myself, and I don’t even feel the need to run to the gym.  The salon, maybe. But the gym not so much.

Ah, I got the t-shirt!

1-1 Polar Bear Double Bluff 8

* * * * * * * *

A note about the photographer.  I have very, very few pictures of me during the year.  Mama’s the one who whips out the camera and records our lives for the kids.  But I just figured out how I can get my husband to take pictures of me. Ideally, I wouldn’t always have to wear the Bikini-I-Had-Before-I-Became-A-Mother, but it’s a start.  Love ya, Babe!

No comments: