Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pumpkins

Carving pumpkins might just be the second best thing about Halloween.  (The first is easily trick-or-treating with our munchkins and visiting with all our great neighbors….while Kyla tries really hard to wait patiently to move on to the next candy bowl.)

We celebrated my dad’s birthday today and conveniently picked up the girls at the same time.  It’s a good time to carve pumpkins as a family.  Dad cracked me up when he got out his drill and 1.5” bit to carve his jack-o-lantern.  Next year, we’ll set him loose with a chainsaw.

October 110

 

Piper was fascinated, too. (Dad’s pumpkin turned out great, but I don’t have a picture to prove it.  I’ll update this if I can get one.)

October 115

 

Dwayne carved his “Daddy” pumpkin and an owl one for Kyla. 

October 219October 211October 214

 

I carved a cat for Piper (it looks slightly better in person) and this other one for Wesley.  I really like how his turned out.

October 227October 231

 

As always, Dwayne’s wins best overall—not only are they clever and intricate, but they are carefully done.   I got two pumpkins carved free-handed from ideas I got from a book while taking care of 3 children who only seem to need Mama…about every two minutes.  That wins its own prize.

October 201

No comments: