Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My Zen

IMG_2969

Although I am fascinated by the idea and  have been reading about the subject for years, I still don’t understand what Zen is. For now, let’s oversimplify and agree that Zen is a perfect peace derived from the transcendence of human suffering through mediation.  Imagine the smiling Buddha, the one who holds the secret to life: he is enlightened, beyond desire, beyond frustration, beyond suffering.  Zen.  If there is one word that represents the opposite of how I experience life, it’s Zen.

An excerpt from my current favorite book, Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on life unarmed, by Glennon Doyle Melton.  (Mom, you will love this book.  I read chapters aloud to Kyla daily and after giving me a thoughtful synopsis of the chapter, she pleads for another one.)

*   *   *   *   *   *

We went up to Deception Pass today.  Wesley and Kyla “cliff-climbed” over to a little beach isolated by high tide. I stayed with them and, picking up a cue from the person who had been in this little corner last, started building little stone towers. I mentally dubbed it “my Zen”. 

IMG_2944

 

True to his calling, Wesley ran up and joyously kicked my Zen down. 

IMG_2945

 

Downed Zen.

IMG_2946

 

 

Luckily, life has opportunities for more Zen.  And destroying any notion of true Zen, my Zen kicked Dwayne’s Zen’s butt. 

IMG_2954

No comments: