Friday, December 21, 2012

Christmas in Langley

12-20 Langley Santa

Downtown Langley is pretty cute at Christmas time, at least in the drive-bys we do.  But I was utterly charmed the other night as the kids were getting pajama-ed after their bath when

out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow  rain
Gave the luster of mid-day to objects below.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny plastic reindeer.

With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St Nick.

Like they did when I was growing up in Puyallup, Santa and his Fire Department elves did a dry run for Christmas morning.  Santa and his sleigh were getting a ride from the department’s reddest, shiniest truck and his elves gave out bags with fire safety pamphlets, candy canes, and firefighter hats! Not only did we get a kick out of the jolly old elf, but we got to meet new neighbors while bonding over our own delight at Santa’s surprises.

12-20 kids with fireman hats 2

 

I have yet to do a Christmas activity that the kids enjoyed more than I did.  Sigh, I love December.

No comments: