Tuesday, December 31, 2019

End of the Year Cleaning

I have found no way to work with Wesley all day on his room without finishing the day grouchy and tired enough to drown out any sense of accomplishment.  Thus it was today, but we are ending the year with less stuff in the house.

This is mostly clean--

This is fully cleaned, sorted, organized:

I finally got smart this time. I washed every single piece of clothing anywhere in his room. [Wes is happy to throw muddy socks in with clean shirts, and clean clothes on his shelves and dirty clothes in his dresser.] While all the washing/drying was happening, I let him have 30 minutes of screen time in exchange for 30 minutes of clothes-trying on later.  

One problem I have is that when I see him wearing pants that are too short and holey, I make a mental note to take them out of circulation next time I do laundry. But since all his pants are gray sweats, I lose track.  This time, as he tried on every piece, it went either into the dresser or into the donation bag.  And since everything was clean and dry, it can leave the house as soon as Goodwill opens in the 2020.  We significantly lessened his wardrobe, and now have only things that fit AND he will wear.  I surrendered and got rid of all the button up shirts I have ever bought him, even the cozy flannel ones.  He simply won't wear buttons, especially has his idea of dressing up is not wearing PJs.  He has a sweater my mom knitted for him years ago that he throws over whatever slouchy clothes he's wearing that day and considers himself well-dressed.  

That boy. Oh, boy.




No comments: