Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Denise’s 10, I Mean 11, Favorite Books in 2019

Denise’s 10 11 Favorite Books in 2019
[With the agreement that a series counts as one]
I can’t list them in true order, books just make it either in my Top Ten or they don’t.
1.     I’ll Be Your Blue Sky, by Marisa de los Santos.  Her first two books, Love Walked In and Belong to Me, are perennial favorites, so when she checked in on her characters a decade later, I swooned.  Blue Sky made me love the first two books even more.  She digs into complicated yet familiar situations and tells a compelling story that feels more like you are living it than reading it.  I try not to have favorites on my favorites list, but this may be it.
 2.     Legends of the First Empire hexology, by Michael J. Sullivan
Age of Legend (Book 4)
Age of Death (Book 5, pentultimate)—to be published Feb, 2020, but I got it early through Kickstarter.
I have brought up Michael once or thrice.  Amazing stories, strong female characters, dragons, magic, humor…legendary!

3.     A Dangerous Collaboration (A Veronica Speedwell Mystery Book 4), by Deanna Raybourn. Oh my, I love Veronica.  Raybourn made a name for herself with the Lady Jane Grey series (Denise’s expert opinion—meh), but that was really just training ground for writing a truly excellent frolic.  Read these in order. 

4.      Once Upon a River, by Diane Setterfield.  I just gobbled this one up, once I recognized the author from her debut novel, The Thirteenth Tale, which thrilled and intoxicated me.  (Editorial: her second novel was underwhelming, after setting the bar very high with her first.)  This, her third novel, clears the bar with room to spare.  When a story teller writes about story tellers and story telling, she has to do it well, and this author used the river to weave it together beautifully and movingly.  

 [I discovered Sherry Thomas this year, and it’s worth reading her older novels to see how she goes from better-than-average regency romance author to author extraordinaire, as she tackles a new take on Sherlock Holmes and a Young Adult SciFi/Fantasy frolic.] 
5.     The Lady Sherlock Series, by Sherry Thomas
A Study in Scarlet Women, Book 1
A Conspiracy in Belgravia, Book 2
The Hollow of Fear, Book 3
The Art of Theft, Book 4 (Barely About the Book Review: Sadly, Ash keeps his clothes on in this installment, but Charlotte never disappoints. Worse than a new complex evil scheme to unravel, she is in France with Maximum Tolerable Chins. Oh, dear!)
Oh, wow, I can’t tell you how much I like Lady Charlotte.  Besides excellent plot and characters, there are so many highlight-worthy lines sprinkled in the prose.  One should gobble this series up.
6.     The Elemental Trilogy, by Sherry Thomas
The Burning Sky, Book 1
The Perilous Sea, Book 2
The Immortal Heights, Book 3
This trilogy has me hooked in the first 100 words.  Check out the prologue to this trilogy—might be my favorite start to a book ever. 
7.      Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, by Gail Honeyman.  This and the next one made lots of booklists this year. The story is a bit odd, because Eleanor is, but if we read fiction not only for enjoyment but also to experience the depths of the human experience, this one is a must read.  And an ENORMOUS one sentence twist at the end that made my heart stop.
8.     Where the Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens. A debut novel that made the fiction world stand up and take notice (and gave me hope that I have a few more decades before I have to write a best selling novel). This one I finished and immediately wanted to talk to someone about it.  Really excellent.



[Brandon Sanderson is, fortunately, a prolific and masterful storyteller.  He brilliantly creates entire universes and original characters. I resisted reading him for so long, but his name showed up on every list that includes the best of the best: Patrick Rothfuss, Michael J. Sullivan, Jim Butcher.  I made up for lost time in 2019.]
9.     Starsight series, by Brandon Sanderson
Skyward, Book 1
Starsight, Book 2

10.   The Reckoners trilogy, by Brandon Sanderson
Steelheart, Book 1
Firefight, Book 2
Calamity, Book 3


11.     Stormlight series, will supposedly be 10 books long, and at 1200 pages per book…gulp, by Brandon Sanderson
The Way of Kings - Kaladin's flashbacks.
Words of Radiance - Shallan's flashbacks.
Oathbringer - Dalinar's flashbacks.

Best in Nonfiction (I didn’t read that much nonfiction this year, but I went for important, if not pleasant).
Equipped for Reading Success, by David A. Kilpatrick. Kilpatrick is a god in the dyslexia world and science of reading.  I was able to immediately put into practice excellent phonological practices with Wesley.  All K-2 teachers should access this text and all excellent 3-12th graders should understand his work.  I finally *got* orthographic mapping.
She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement, by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey.  A super important read but not a fun one.  I couldn’t quite make it through the last section on Dr. Blasey Ford’s testimony—too soon and ulcer inducing. (I absolutely believe Dr. BF, hence the ulcers.)
Unbelievable: The Story of Two Detectives' Relentless Search for the Truth, by T. Christian Miller and Ken Armstrong.  Ugh, also too horrible in concept, but the writing was straight forward and clear, telling the true tale of a too-clever serial rapist.  The lasting damage done to an already damaged young women just aged out of the foster system was make even more painful for being a local case.  My ulcer is acting up just remembering it.  But again, too important to let the discomfort of reading to
The Knowledge Gap: The Hidden Cause of America’s Broken Education System--and How to Fix It, by Wexler, Natalie. When I started homeschooling Wes, I adopted the Core Knowledge curriculum.  It’s free online (though I pay to have the workbooks and readers printed for me, but save money by accessing the online teacher’s text).  I love CKLA because it uses explicit instruction to teacher Language Arts and focuses on knowledge—history, science, geography, in addition to a wide variety of genres withing decodable readers. I’m a HUGE fan of teaching knowledge, so I was the choir that smugly picked up hymnal.  She argues for a knowledge-based curriculum over skills-based, and that sounds counter intuitive at first, but I could bore you to death about it in person.  First of all, think of it as a chicken-and-egg problem.  Which comes first: background knowledge so you understand what you are reading, or reading to build your background knowledge?  The answer: yes.  
Educated: A memoir, by Tara Westover. Possibly the most poignant and painful book I read this year.  Kyla listened to it on Audible first, and had I read it first, I wouldn’t have forbidden her to read it, but probably would have cautioned her to wait years and years.  Bill Gates had it on his 2018 recommended reads.

 

Honorable Mentions:

The Nickel Boys, by Colson Whitehead
The Night Tiger, by Yangsze Choo
Before Green Gables, by Budge Wilson
The Rosie Result (Don Tillman Book 3), by Graeme Simsion
When the Men Were Gone, by Marjorie Herrera Lewis
The Ocean at the End of the Lane, by Neil Gaiman
The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane: A Novel and The Overdue Life of Amy Byler by Kelly Harms
*You Can Thank Me Later (novella) by Kelly Harms, but I think only available in Audible.  I think she finally wrote an excellent story, and not just cotton candy that faded on the last page.
Tween and Teen, Worth a Read:
*Counting by 7s, by Holly Goldberg Sloan
*Forever, or a Long, Long Time, by Caela Carter
The Many Reflections of Miss Jane Deming, by Coats, J. Anderson
Far from the Tree, by Robin Benway
A Boy Called Bat, by Elana K. Arnold
**The Pumpkin War, by Cathleen Young
The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things, by Carolyn Mackler
Eight Keys, by LaFleur, Suzanne M.

Meh Books:  I did the reading so you don’t have to
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings Book 1), by Mackenzie Lee
The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy (Montague Siblings #2), by  Mackenzi Lee
Tomboy: A Graphic Memoir, by Liz Prince
All Summer Long, by Hope Larson
**How I Became A Ghost, A Choctaw Trail of Tears Story, by Tingle, Tim
**When A Ghost Talks, Listen, A Choctaw Trail of Tears Story, by Tingle, Tim

_____________________________
* Extra recommended
** Wes loved me reading these aloud to him

No comments: