Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Concrete KOA Camping

8-7 Camping Concrete KOA 4

“Welcome to Concrete: Center of the Known Universe”

I love the sheer audacious irony.

I took the kids camping Monday, for probably the last time this summer.  KOA is not the beautiful state park down the road a few miles, but it has a pool, mini-golf, the jumping pillow, and lots of other kid-friendly options, including a store where Wesley can buy himself. Another. Stuffed. Animal.

Fortunately, Paws likes the playground as much as Wesley does.

8-7 Camping Concrete KOA 1

8-7 Camping Concrete KOA 2

The pool is fine, but the kids enjoy the creek more.  Kyla can build dams while Piper and Wesley “catch” (read: chase) fish.

8-7 Camping Concrete KOA 3

We ended up staying two nights, after I got a text saying I didn’t need to watch a friend’s kids Wednesday morning.  But here’s why I’m done with camping. When I rolled in Monday afternoon, there was ample opportunity, between taking my money and charging an extra $5 per kid, to let me know that tree work was scheduled near our site all day Tuesday, blocking the egress most of the time.  You know a good reason to go camping, besides making kids happy?  For peace and quiet in the great outdoors.  KOA fail.  And then it was carefully explained to me that it was really important for everyone’s safety to take care of the trees.  I don’t think I once said that I preferred dead people, but I do prefer making decisions based on full disclosure.  They offered me a different campsite, but the entire purpose of camping for 2 nights is not to set up camp twice.  Our compromise?  They didn’t charge me $15 for my kids the second night.  Any other KOAs to try beside Leavenworth and Concrete?  

No comments: