Thursday, August 9, 2018

Another Best Day: Hood Canal

8-9  Hood Canal 3

I’m taking the 4 kids on a sunset adventure to chase its setting and paddle out further than we had before.

I love it when my kids’ friendships line up with my own. Wesley and Westin 8-9 Hood Canal 3were in pre-K together 4 years ago, and even though they go to schools on the opposite sides of the district, their friendship has remained strong.  I give all credit to Westin’s grandma, Karla, who comes over from Hood Canal once a week as needed to take care of him.  This week, we decided to go her way.

And wow, what a treat for us!  They live right on the water’s edge, and we had immediate water access for the kayaks and standup paddle boards (SUP). And I am obsessed with SUPS. I have three natural talents: roller blading, breastfeeding, and SUP-ing.  Not surprising, I am way underemployed. 

But first, let me show you some of our highlights.

The house was bright and open, the better to take pictures of cherry-vampire Piper. (I am relieved she shows up in photographs.)

8-9 Hood Canal 1

8-9 Hood Canal 2There’s a driving range, which Karla and I agree seems the stupidest thing.  However, the number of great conversations and quality time spent (particularly by the males in her fam) proves us wrong.  Wes2 hit balls any time they weren’t playing Legos or in the water. It was really cool.

8-9 Hood Canal 4 

8-9 Hood Canal 5

(Isn’t it lovely?)

During low tide the next morning, the kids hunted the golf balls, as well as shells, crabs, and all the other marine treasures they could collect.

8-9  Hood Canal 2

They snuggled up with Inspector Gadget in the evening.

But of all the wonders, my highlight was our sunset adventure.  Before I went out, I took this shot of the boys in the foreground, Piper on the paddleboard, and that distant speck?  Kyla kayaking out on her own.

8-9 Hood Canal 5 (2)

Never before have I actually wanted to live on the water, but this trip had me looking longingly at waterfront. Thanks, Karla and Westin for an amazing overnight adventure!

No comments: