Monday, April 1, 2013

April Fools!

My book group read something recently where the mom vowed to play a little more with her kids, and part of that was making April Fool’s day fun.  She made a bowl of cereal for her kids and put it in the freezer the night before.  I don’t know why struck us, but we discussed trying to do something on A.F.D. this year.

I started by putting a leftover egg dye tablet in the faucet.  The kids ran to tell me about the pink water, leaving the water running. By the time I got there, the water was clear again.  I still shouted “April Fool!”

4-1 April Fools!  1

 

Then, while they were washing their hands with non-pink water, I took their cereal bowls out of the freezer.  The kids thought that joke was a lot funnier when they told Daddy about it later, than they did at the time.  I mostly got a “huh?” and “what are we going to eat?”

4-1 April Fools! 24-1 April Fools! 3

 

They liked the blue milk on their second bowls of cereal.

4-1 April Fools! 4

 

They loved the apples stuffed with gummy worms after lunch, though I found the mostly uneaten apples in very odd places, stripped of worms.

But they were very excited about cupcakes for dinner.  They, of course, insisted they would only eat real cupcakes, not the meatloaf-and-pink-mashed-potato ones we actually made.  They actually did eat them and thought it was hilarious to “trick” Daddy. Thanks for playing along, Babe!

4-1 April Fools! 54-1 April Fools! 6

4-1 April Fools! 74-1 April Fools! 8

 

Other than the darn apples, it wasn’t much work and it made the day really fun for all of us.  Try it again next year?

No comments: