Saturday, July 28, 2018

16th Anniversary: Family Day at Camlann Medieval Festival

7-28 Camlann Festival (2)

Dwayne and I skipped our actual day in favor of convenience.  Both girls had their last day of camp on our anniversary, and had to be picked up in opposite directions at the same time, and I think Dwayne even worked late that night.  But I said I would plan our anniversary; with only the shadows of our European and New York trips (that he surprised me with) to mock me.

7-28 Camlann 1

But I was determined that our kids, a major by-product of our union, should be part of the celebration and so after my first 3 ideas fizzled, I planned a family adventure to the Saint James festival at Camlann Village, a medieval living history experience.

Dwayne loved it.  I thought it was amazing. Kyla was thrilled.  Wesley hated it. Piper yawned. 

[Truly, our children refuse to come to consensus on anything, and seem to sometimes dislike something just to be contrary.  Kids are so ….augh.]

The musicians were talented and entertaining.  7-28 Camlann Festival 2

The archery (which Wesley may have actually LOVED) was really cool, and we learned how the longbows were handcrafted.

7-28 Camlann Festival 67-28 Camlann Festival 97-28 Camlann 1

7-28 Camlann Festival 13

Master Payne was a marvel.

7-28 Camlann Festival 25

My daughters were beautiful.

7-28 Camlann Festival 34 (3)

The handcrafting (candles, woven belts, spun wool) was authentic and tedious-looking.7-28 Camlann Festival

The the final magic show?  Well, Master Payne was magical, but Kyla stole the show!  (See minute 3:50 for the highlight.)

We followed up with an early dinner at a Duvall bistro, followed by time on a nearby river-beach, and topped it with ice cream.

7-28 Duvall beach 4 7-28 Duvall beach 9

7-28 Duvall beach 12

I think perhaps #17 can be done sans children.

No comments: