Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It’s Raining Babies!

Okay, that’s not true, but there was a baby shower for my sister-in-law for my nephew (soon to be known as Keith and Julie’s son) a few weeks ago. I didn’t get many pictures, but here is one of mom-to-be opening up the sweater from Grandma K. She knitted a blanket from the same yarn that was just as darling.

June 2010 017

But here is what I am proud of and want to blog about. I had wanted to make Baby K a quilt. Julie sent me her vision of the quilt, so I had something to work with. The bike is a reasonable facsimile of Keith’s current bike.

Baby_Quilt[1]

I’m proud to say not a single hand-stitch went into this quilt.  However, that bike was just about the end of my quilting career. But I loved how it all turned out—the colors go great in their nursery, and the front is a cozy flannel while the back is an indescribably soft, textured solid blue.

NOTE: I haven’t made Piper or Wesley a special blanket yet. Sorry, kids.

julie's baby quilt

The diaper cake was something I decided to do at 10pm the night before the shower. Fortunately, I wisely married a man of amazing intellect and problem solving skills. I had heard of making these by rolling up each diaper individually and fastening each one a rubber band. That is a clear violation of Rule #1: Don’t make more work for Mama. So Dwayne came up with the idea of using these old tupperware cake carriers to get the diapers layers right.  I used one big rubber band to keep them together and then covered it with scraps of ribbon I happened to have. It didn’t take long after that. The core is a bottle of sparkling cider. And then (don’t tell Julie), it’s decorated with a bunch of duplicate or extra toys/equipment I’ve happened to accumulate after three kids. I’ve seen much, much better designed diaper cakes. But not by me. :)

diaper cake julie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome. Hey, do you remember me? Hehe...I love checking in on your blog and always mean to post a comment, but...you know how it goes. We joined the three kid crowd last week. Lots of fun. Looks like you are surviving it all well. Have a great summer, Melinda PS tell Keith and Julie we said Congrats!