Monday, June 25, 2012

Uh, Oh, A Plant Sale

Through severe self-discipline, excepting seed packets, I haven’t bought a single plant this year.  Then Molbak’s began their big sale.  ALL outdoor plants, buy one get one free.  I told Dwayne I wouldn’t spend more than $50… a day. I might have added that caveat under my breath. 

For $52 (including tax), I brought home all of these.  And yes, the kids were kicked out of their wagon so we could fit all these in. 

024

 

For Mother’s Day, my mom gave me a copy of this book.  I don’t usually enjoy gardening books enough to read them cover to cover, but I loved this gardener’s style.  She’s the ultimate lazy gardener,  where the “good enough” plan is just right.  I marked several pages and went to Molbak’s with a list of low-maintenance, high-satisfaction plants to grow in my occasionally watered, slight-sun, deer-eaten garden.  An employee at Molbak’s took me around and showed me each plant on my list. 

Easy Answers for Great Gardens: 500 Tips, Techniques, and Outlandish Ideas

 

But then we went to Bellevue Botanical Gardens yesterday (go see it and walk on the new suspension bridge!) and I rekindled an old romance with a smoke tree.091

 

I went back to Molbak’s this evening and bought one, and to take advantage of the BOGO deal, I bought a gorgeous blueberry bush which already has infinitely more berries on it than all three “bushes” I’ve had for a few years. 

But that’s it.  No more plants.  Dwayne’s already aiming new walls right at some old plants that desperately need rescuing before they are cruelly bulldozed, so I have to direct my not insignificant energies at saving them.  And to complaining to said husband about husbands who build walls.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

My mom loves Marianne Binetti's gardening books. She used to have a gardening column in the P-I (not sure if she still does).

Dwayne and Denise Need said...

Good to know! I'm going to have to find her other books....when I'm ready to splurge on more "must have" plants!

Julie said...

I might have to borrow that book (next year), we currently have a weed-hedge around the edge of the back yard I'd like to cover up eventually.