Monday, February 14, 2011

This Day SUCKS!!!

Sure, it’s Valentine’s Day.  And Piper’s actual birthday.  But it’s also a day that by the bedtime, I have attempted to put Wesley down 9 times, all unsuccessfully.  So he, for the only time in his life thus far, has had no nap today. 

This is also a day that after a week of asking and asking and demanding that the girls clean up their room after quiet time, I had run out of all my tricks but one.  (For the last few months, the girls both have cleaned up their rooms great, putting toys back in the right boxes, books on the shelf, etc. But then they stopped cold turkey, like “clean up” was a drug they needed to purge.)

Two hours after quiet time was over and Kyla was still in her room (because she wouldn’t clean it) I put two storage containers in her room and let her know she needed to put her toys where they belonged or I would clean up toys for her.  Whoever cleaned up the room got to keep the toys. 

2-14 Kyla's room (2)

2-14 Kyla's room

I barely got the lids on both of those containers before dragging them into the garage.

This was also the day after a nonstop weekend that had no regrouping time in it for a devout introvert (that’s me).  

So it was about 3 o’clock or so, after giving up on Wesley’s fifth naptime attempt that I screamed—within 10 feet of all three children, not behind closed doors—“This day SUCKS!!!”  This is not a word I want to input into their vocabularies, but occasionally I like to share feelings with my children.  It helps them remember I am not just a robot slave programmed for their convenience.

St. Dwayne eventually came home with Valentine’s gifts for us all and the day finally ended, as all days are wont to do if you give them enough time.  24 hours, to be exact.

The End.

Epilogue.  As proof that all the kids survived the day, here is Dwayne reading them bedtime stories. He had already gotten Wesley down to sleep.  2-14 Valentine's Day

 

The Final Score:

Wesley 9

Mama 0

Daddy 1

No comments: