Thursday, February 27, 2020

We Play Hooky


I don't know how to play hockey, but hooky I can figure out!  The girls are going to get big, fat W's on their report cards (for Withdrawal), regardless if they go every day this quarter or not at all.  So when Kyla asked if we could go to Seattle this week, I couldn't think of any reason to refuse.

My dad joined us on this gorgeous day as we first did the Underground Tour. Piper and Wes were determined to hate the tour; unfortunately, the guide was funny and talked about exploding crappers and I caught them laughing.



After the excellent tour, we walked to Pike Place Market, which my kids have never seen before.  We had lunch at a German café and played cribbage while waiting for our food. My hungry kids were falling apart, but perked up with the lady brought them candy as an appetize, and the sugar helped them start appreciating the blue sky, and ferries crossing the over the sparking Sound.  


I treated myself to a bouquet and the kids to a pastry, and as we started back to the car, I finally discovered Gum Wall on Post Alley.  It is a grotesque monument to...something.  By the best of luck, I had a pack in my pocket, so the kids commenced to chewing furiously.


What a great day to spend as a family (though Piper probably would like you to know she didn't mind about 5%, and hated the other 95%.  I think she had a miserable time for only about half of it.)

Just a book aside: The catalyst for this field trip was The Many Reflections of Jane Deming, about the beginnings of white settlement in Seattle. Really great story!



No comments: