Saturday, March 23, 2019

Math Olympiad


For the last 5 months, I coached the 5th grade team at my kids' school, and had half of all the 5th graders (though, notably, not Piper) at weekly practices. We just took 10 kids to our districts Math Olympiad, and I was proud of the 3 teams--"we" brought home a gold, silver, and bronze.  The snow shaved off two weeks of practice, so we shoved probability into one week (which was unfortunate, since the only part of the test my mathletes got stuck on was the many questions about ratios), and skipped Olympiad practice all together.  Sigh.  However, I was glad to wrap up this math team, and immediately started recruiting for the 4th grade team, to start after Spring Break.  This year has been a fun break to take on math in addition to all things books as a volunteer!  And I'll have my revenge--Wesley gets to be an honorary 4th Grade Mathlete this year.  At least one of my kids will be on Math Team.

And, on a related note, Kyla just passed the qualifiers to sign up for Algebra as a 7th grader!  She and I were both really excited for that accomplishment.  Sure, she's really dyslexic, but she's also extremely book smart, and it's fun to watch her have achievements after years of extra tutoring and her feeling like the dumbest kid in class.  This kid is going to be fun to watch! 


No comments: