Sunday, October 7, 2018

Cabin Project: Really, truly ALMOST done!

Last weekend, we finished the pergola (and added adorable lights—Denise’s contribution). 
9-30 Cabin Pergola, garden 5
9-29 Pergola complete 4I like how the picture makes it seem that it just grew there, but we had help.  A shout out to my amazing hubby, and Matt and Keith, who are very useful engineers,9-29 Pergola complete 7 problem solvers and builders!  And Keith’s miter saw saved the day when ours coughed and died dramatically after years of loving abuse.
Dwayne and I feel like we’ve pretty much mastered the “Northwest Elegant” look, and good hardware is our secret sauce. 
9-29 Pergola complete 2
This weekend, I finally got to start my garden.  With the addition of my dry rock stream and Spice Island, the area went from this:
cabin, before pergola
to this:10-6 cabin garden 6
10-7 Cabin Pergola, garden3
10-6 cabin garden 1
10-7 Cabin Pergola, garden7
10-6 cabin garden 11
I had been collecting from the McLendon’s clearance section for a while….
10-6 cabin plants2
Then someone I hadn’t met before stopped by to compliment us on the project and gave us, what I think he called a Japanese Lizard Tree/Shrub.  
10-7 Cabin Pergola, garden8
It’s so soft and scaly at the same time, and when you turn it over, it’s a beautiful white and green lace pattern.  I couldn’t find out more on the internet, but I love this guy!
But doing the garden meant that Dwayne was doing the stone facing on the pillars on his own.  It’s a truth about masonry, 2 people can go 3-4 times as fast as 1 person.  I pitched in towards the end of the day, but too late to make our goal for the weekend.
So we only got two pillars completed in those two days.  I love working with Dwayne, but that feeling’s mostly cancelled out by doing it in the rain.
10-6 cabin garden 4

No comments: