Sunday, April 1, 2018

Easter 2018

With its own sense of humor, Easter came on April 1st this year, inciting Wesley to chant “I can’t wait for Easter Fool’s Day” in anticipation.

My own expectations coupled with my kids’ unsubtle demands left me with the following to-do list:

1) Be the Easter Bunny

2) Sprinkle in April Fool’s jokes on the children

3) Organize and host Easter dinner for 34

4) Organize an Egg Hunt for 13 children

5) Still make Easter somewhat spiritually meaningful for the family.

Easter baskets were easy—each got an appropriate knife, Wesley’s 8 year old jackknife, and the girls each got the recommended knife for their summer survival camp, as well as some books and a chocolate bunny.

Sadly, they also got the following letter when they woke up Easter morning:


Dear Children,

I have outdone myself this year. Remember in the past when you would find your baskets in less than an hour? Well, I will weep if you can find them without tears of frustration before 8:45am. You each have different colored paper bag with your name on it hidden somewhere downstairs. Truly, I had no pity when I hid these. You won’t find anything upstairs or outside. Nothing for you has been hidden in the guest room—your mom will kill you, and then me, if you try digging through the stuff she has piled in there.

In addition to your Easter bag, there are a dozen little cute eggs hidden between the playroom, bathroom, hallway and office. You should be able to find about 3 of them. I will tear my clothes and gnash my teeth if you find all twelve.

Don’t wake up your parents, especially your mom, with all the crying you will be doing when attempting to do MY egg hunt. You are doomed to failure and I shall finally reign triumphant!

Love,

The Evil Easter Bunny

At least two children cried in the hour it took them (and a few very pointed hints) to find their gifts, but they got to sit down their the breakfast of “hamburger and fries”.


And that’s pretty much the last unblurred picture I took for the day, but the to-do list got done enough, and it was an excellent day.

No comments: