Saturday, March 26, 2011

An Afternoon Stroll—And A Milestone?

After a wonderful morning at our hometown parade, we all took a bit of a rest.  Daddy was still resting when the kids were all up, so the girls and I all got out our strollers and our babies and we went for a walk.

This is the first day of parenting that I noticed my kids following prescribed gender lines.  The girls wore tutus and put their babies in the doll strollers and Wesley carried a ball.  It was a little disconcerting for me, I have to admit.  I’ve read Pink Brain, Blue Brain and really believe most of the annoying (um, princesses and guns) traits of gender division is mostly environmentally created and enhanced.  This wasn’t a life-changing moment for me, but I do find myself blogging about it a few hours later.

 

Kyla and Piper were rarin’ to go…

3-26 Afternoon stroll 004

3-26 Afternoon stroll 012

3-26 Afternoon stroll 007

 

….but the Boy With a Ball and His Own Agenda kept going the other way.  “Come back, Wesley!”

3-26 Afternoon stroll 0013-26 Afternoon stroll 011

Herding cats, I tell you.

3-26 Afternoon stroll 008

Finally, I put him in his own stroller and he held on to his ball all the way to the school yard.  He liked it better than this picture indicates.

3-26 Afternoon stroll 014

 

Piper’s baby, named Baby, loves her “new” stroller ($5 at a consignment sale—and it’s a double!)

3-26 Afternoon stroll 0223-26 Afternoon stroll 019

 

Okay, forgot about my earlier angst.  Wesley finally got a hold of Kyla’s stroller and pushed Teddy around for a while, giving them both an off-road adventure.

3-26 Afternoon stroll 0233-26 Afternoon stroll 0273-26 Afternoon stroll 0253-26 Afternoon stroll 031

 

All done now!

3-26 Afternoon stroll 0323-26 Afternoon stroll 034

 

Our neighborhood school has a special Kindergarten playground that we all like.

3-26 Afternoon stroll 0443-26 Afternoon stroll 0493-26 Afternoon stroll 046

 

Time to go home! 

3-26 Afternoon stroll 059

 

Daddy was bringing back dinner for the babysitters when he passed us, so the girls took the easy way home.  I got home a lot faster, too….

3-26 Afternoon stroll 063

 

Thanks, Babe!

3-26 Afternoon stroll 065

1 comment:

Deanna said...

You can't fight gender programming. I swear God has hardwired it into their tiny little brains from day one. Each of your kids will be more open and tolerant of the opposite gender's likes, dislikes and habits, though, because they have a brother/sister (you know this, you have brothers), which is great! As opposed to, say, someone we know who has four boys who couldn't care less about anything pink and frilly. :)