Sunday, May 10, 2020

Most Fortunate Among Mothers



...and by "mother", I really mean "wife", or in particular, "Dwayne's wife".  The kids let us sleep until it was time to roll out of bed for church live stream.  Afterward, I puttered while Dwayne fixed me
to eat on the front deck (next to my new containers with, ahem, not-yet-manslaughtered flowers).  That would be greens sauteed in fresh garlic, roasted root veggies, over-easy eggs with goat cheese, and sides of tomatoes tossed with olive oil and herbs, fresh avocado, and sliced citrus.   Dwayne did have to help me eat it all.  

Then, Dwayne took Wes downtown to purchase armfuls of flowers, and the kids arranged them and surprised me with riots of colors.  

I had settled into a short afternoon of outdoor puttering before my parents came over for an early dinner when Wes came out with my second breakfast:
I had actually been staying away from gluten and sugar, but how could I resist?  He took my 100% dark chocolate, broke it into pieces and arranged it into a smiley face and remembered that I love berry syrup on pancakes.  Diet smashed, and just smack between a really late breakfast and insanely early dinner.  The night before, he had also given me $15 in cash to donate to the charity of my choice.  I found a parasite treatment for school children through the Compassion catalog. That boy is my sunshine and my raincloud--rainbows galore!

The mystery of painting detritus left on the deck the night before was solved when Kyla gave me a watercolor of the calla lilies I had just planted days before (and therefore, were still looking as nice as they had in the garden section at McLendons).  Isn't it lovely?

Dwayne returned from one of my favorite restaurants, Sages, with dinner for four discerning adults, and a bag of Jack-N-the Box burgers for the kids.  The weather was perfect, which is why we were able to set up an alfresco, socially distanced dining experience on the patio.  We were able to talk my parents into a walk afterward, and I even got my Mothers Day's pictures taken!  I would love to continue bragging about how perfectly lovely Mothers Day was this year; however, there was absolutely payback.  The Monday Hangover after good behavior came back full force.


No comments: